Rabat – Qatari sports channel beIN Sports has officially urged FIFA to take measures against a Saudi-based piracy network called “BeOutQ.”The general counsel of beIN Sports told French press agency AFP that his company “requested FIFA to take direct legal action against Arabsat and the indications we have shown that they are behind that.”Saudi-based BeOutQ, according to Europe 1, will pirate the transmission of FIFA’s 64 games of the 2018 World Cup in Russia. The Saudi channel is “geo-locked,” so internet users across Saudi Arabia can access the channel for GBP 80.Last week beIN Sports, which owns the broadcast rights to the World Cup in Saudi Arabia, invested GBP 12,000 to stop BeOutQ from stealing broadcasts of sports events.The Independent quoted Managing Director of beIN Sports Tom Keaveny, saying that “the pirated signal is being transmitted by the Riyadh-based satellite provider Arabsat, whose largest shareholder is the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.”A number of Arab countries are boycotting the Qatari-owned sports channel since Saudi Arabia and its allies decided to cut ties with Qatar in June 2017, allegedly for its involvement in funding terrorist groups.In June 2017, Saudi Arabia announced its intention to launch the largest sports network in the Middle East, PBS Sports, to compete with the Qatari sports network.International news sources, including Europe 1, announced that beIN sports will offer free broadcasts of the 22 games featuring Arab countries in the 2018 World Cup.The Moroccan team is gearing up for the world’s premier tournament. The World Cup opening game for Morocco will be on June 15 against Iran, and the second will be against Portugal on June 20. The last game of the first round of the World Cup will be against Spain on June 25.
Addressing reporters following the meeting between Greek Cypriot leader Demetris Christofias and Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat in Nicosia, Alexander Downer, the Secretary-General’s Special Adviser, said that “good progress was made,” building on talks held earlier this week.Mechanisms to resolve deadlocks were the focus of today’s discussions, which also touched on past acts and the hierarchy of norms.The two leaders asked Mr. Downer to stress that they held a “very good” meeting today, he said.In response to a question, the Adviser said that he remains convinced that “there is a real possibility of reaching a settlement here” this year, but acknowledged that it would be an “incredibly difficult task.”He added, “No one should underestimate how hard it is, after so many years and such deep conflict to put together an agreement, but days like today just help to confirm the view that I’ve expressed on many occasions that I am cautiously optimistic.”Next week, representatives of Mr. Christofias and Mr. Talat, along with specialists, will meet periodically, and the leaders themselves will resume talks on 28 January to begin discussing the issue of property.The full-fledged power-sharing negotiations, central to the reunification process in Cyprus, began last September.UN peacekeepers have been deployed in Cyprus since 1964 to prevent fighting between the Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot communities. 16 January 2009Today’s United Nations-led talks between the Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot leaders aimed at reunifying the Mediterranean island were “positive,” according to a senior official with the world body. read more